The following procedures explain how to transfer your Google account files to a personal Google account. Seniors and 8th graders must complete this process in order to keep their files and take ownership of their Chromebook after graduation. For assistance, please visit the Student-Led HelpDesk.
Step One: Create a personal Gmail account (if you do not have one already) and Archive your school data.
Step One is only needed for 12th-grade students. 8th-grade students do not need to complete this step since their Moline account will continue to stay active.
- Create a Gmail account (if you do not already have a personal account):
- Use Google Takeout to transfer any data from your school account to your personal account.
- After graduation your school account will be disabled and you will no longer have access to emails or Google docs created within your school account.
- Below is the link to Google Takeout:
- YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FjJxxlsh_I
- Step-by-step directions: http://bit.ly/2XNpDXk
Step Two: Transfer Ownership of your school device
Follow these steps to keep your school Chromebook. These steps MUST be completed or the device will be locked and not usable:
- Login to your Skyward account
- Complete the Device Transfer Form by clicking the link in Skyward.
- All fees must be paid in order to complete the form and take ownership of the Chromebook. See the Bookstore or Student Helpdesk for questions regarding fees.
- Read the terms of the transfer and indicate Yes that you intend to transfer ownership of the Chromebook to yourself. Transfer of ownership means:
- The Moline-Coal Valley School District will no longer support any device that has been transferred.
- The device will no longer be enrolled in the School District’s security system.
- You will log into the Chromebook using your personal Google account.
- If you do not agree to these terms, or choose to give back the Chromebook, answer NO on the form and return your device to the Student-Led Helpdesk.
- Failure to do so will result in being charged for the device and the device being locked and unable to be used by any account after graduation.
Step Three: clear School District restrictions on the Chromebook
Once the form is complete, follow the steps below to complete the transfer process and remove the device from being managed by the Moline-Coal Valley School District.
Please note: The steps below must be completed after 5 p.m. on or after the day you submit the transfer agreement form in Skyward. If you complete this form after 5 p.m. you will have to wait until the following day at 5 p.m. to complete the steps below
- Use Developer Mode to clear all School District restrictions
- Press Esc+↻+Power at the same time while on the login screen.
- A yellow exclamation point (!) or "Please insert a recovery USB stick" is displayed.
- Press Ctrl+D to begin Developer mode
- Press Enter.
- Press Ctrl+D again.
- The Chromebook deletes its local data, returning to its initial state. This can take approximately 10 minutes.
- When the transition completes, press the spacebar, then press Enter to return to Verified mode.
- Here is a YouTube video that goes through this process:
Step Four: Complete the Chromebook setup
After the Ownership transfer process is complete:
- Complete the initial setup of the device, using your personal Google account that you created from the above steps.
- You may also login to your school account by typing your full email address including @molineschools.org on the login page (this does NOT join the device to the School District again).
If you have any problems with any of these steps please see the Helpdesk for assistance.